If you like what you see here, you can have it delivered to your inbox by subscribing. To subscribe, simply use the box located on the left side of the blog. I hope you enjoy.

Monday, May 3, 2010

OAMC!!


Well, it has been a while since I posted about a freezer cooking day, but I saw that Crystal over at Money Saving Mom was doing her monthly post, and she inspired me.  I cooked over the course of two days, and did not cook an entire months worth of meals, but I did get a lot accomplished.  This is what I ended up with:

Potato Soup, this is super simple and delicious.
Around 10 potatoes
Chicken Stock
Milk

Peel and boil the potatoes until tender.  I use a stick mixer to blend the potatoes, milk, and chicken broth.  I have used onions in it before, but my children don't really like onions so I left them out this time.  You can make this as creamy or thick as you like by adding more milk and broth.  I really just eyeball it.

Chili, my own recipe.  I am not a big "measuring" type of person.  I use a pinch of this and a dash of that, but this is my recipe.
About 4 cups of tomato sauce, I buy the large can from sams, and used half of the can.
1 lb. of cooked ground beef.
2 cans of kidney beans
4 carrots, chopped
Chili powder to taste
vinegar, a dash

I brown and drain the meat.  Place it in a pot with the tomato sauce, beans, and carrotts.  Add the chili powder, if I had to guess I would say I used about a teaspoon.  The amount you use depends on how spicy you like your food.  We are not very spicy people, so I don't use much.  Then add the vinegar, I used regular white, but if you have apple cider that tastes the best.  Bring to a boil, and then simmer until the carrotts are soft.  This recipe made two meals for us.

Vegetable Soup, once again my own little recipe.
About 4 cups of Tomato sauce
1 lb. of ground beef.
1 bag of frozen peas
4 carrots chopped
I can of corn
Garlic powder

Brown and drain the meat, place in a pot with the tomato sauce, carrotts, vegetables, and garlic powder.  Bring to a boil and then simmer. 

You can add whatever type of veggies your family likes to eat, I added what we had on hand.

Taco Rice
1 small bag of rice.
1 lb. of ground beef
1 can of corn
1 packet of taco seasoning

Cook the rice.  Brown and drain the meat, place in a large bowl with the rice, corn and taco seasoning.  Stir it up, and place in a bag or dish and freeze.  Very simple, but tasty.

Creamy Rice Bowl
1 small bag of rice
1 can Cream of mushroom soup
1 can of water
1 lb. of ground beef.

Cook the rice.  Brown and drain the meat, add to the rice along with the soup.  I mix the soup and can of water before I add it to everything else.  Place in a bag or dish to freeze.  Yet again super simple, but very tasty.

Finally, I baked some Butterhorns using Crystal's recipe.  If you have not tried these, you should.  They are delicious.  I made them for Easter dinner, and my guests were looking for the pillsbury can.  They could not believe that the rolls were homemade.  Needless to say, they were a huge hit.

This is what I ended up with. 



If you want to see more OAMC ideas check out moneysavingmom.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your freezer cooking day looks great! This was my first one and I loved it. And I saw you are going to the Savvy Summit. So am I!!! Congratulations!