If you like what you see here, you can have it delivered to your inbox by subscribing. To subscribe, simply use the box located on the left side of the blog. I hope you enjoy.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Green Challenge!!

The Green Challenge for this week is, what can you do with a plastic bottle. It can be any type of plastic bottle. I would love to see and hear about all of your ideas. This is what I did. I saw the commercial about the upside down tomato planter that is currently being sold on TV. I thought it was a great idea, but you know me, I did not want to spend the money to buy one, so I decided to make one. I actually made three, one using a large empty bubble container, one using an empty 2 liter bottle, and one using an empty juice bottle.

To make them I simply cut off the bottom of the bottles and punched four holes in each container. Then I cut two even pieces of rope and attached them to the bottles. Next I inserted my plant with the roots in the bottle and the plant sticking out of the small end. I added potting soil and hung them up outside. I have been watering them everyday, and they are doing great. I was a little skeptical at first, but some of them are actually blooming.


My Tomato Plants!!


I left the labels on the bottles for the picture so that you could see what type of bottle I used.



I would love to see what you can do with a plastic bottle. Please leave a comment or a link to your post about how to reuse a plastic bottle.

Next weeks challenge will be to go an entire week without paper towels. I would love to see what you use in place of the paper towels, and any other green tips that you have on next weeks post.




2 comments:

mars said...

That is such a great idea - I love it! I saw the Tomato Plant Kit at Walgreens (the one that is AS SEEN ON TV). I was tempted to buy it, but didn't want to waste my money. Now you have given me such a great idea - I am going to do the same thing as you. Brilliant!

Jenny said...

Hi. I'm just here visiting your site, and I have to say, I like it a lot. You have some great stuff to check out. I have a small blog that has been around for about 2 years. It's not big, I delete posts every now and then. But I invite you to come check out my site. I would love to have you over. :D